The OGAE Song Contest is back for 2017!
This year sees the 32nd edition of the contest, and the 30th time that the UK will have taken part. The UK song will be selected in late Spring, so that we can have our entry ready for the deadline, which is usually at the end of July.
Last year’s contest was won by Spain’s Alvaro Soler, with the song Sofia.
We have a good number of people involved in the selection process, but are keen for even more people to take part. If this interests you, and you’re an OGAE UK member, then contact Dennis Evans on firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 31 March 2017. You can also nominate a song to the same address by the same deadline. As last year, the top nominated songs will be put in the UK selection final.
In order to be eligible for inclusion a song must:
- Have been commercially released prior to the entry submission date (ie from 2016)
- Be performed in a/the national language of the nominating OGAE clu
- Be an original version (ie not a remix)
- Have been released on an album or as a single on vinyl, CD, or as a digital download
- Be a studio, not a live recording
- Not have previously participated in the Eurovision Song Contest, OGAE Second Chance Contest, or OGAE Video Contest [Junior Eurovision entries are also ineligible subject to a rule change by the OGAE Presidents]
- Be performed by an individual with the nationality of the nominating OGAE national cub. For groups, at least one performer must have the nationality of the nominating national club
- Be of a maximum duration of 5 minutes
As this is our 30th entry – let’s try and choose a winning song! You’ll see from the table below that the UK has an excellent track record in this contest.
|1988||It Would Take A Strong Strong Man||Rick Astley||065||04|
|1990||Everybody Knows||Cliff Richard||109||02|
|1991||Heaven Is A Place For Heroes||Samantha Janus||067||05|
|1992||Cariad Yw Cariad||Paul Gregory & Lilo Millward||016||16|
|1993||Don’t Be A Stranger||Dina Carroll||098||04|
|1994||Somewhere In The Night||Stacy Grant||033||16|
|1997||Don’t Let It Rain||Joanne May||010||20|
|1999||This Heart Will Love Again||Steps||059||09|
|2000||Close My Eyes||Manic Street Preachers||000||25|
|2001||It’s The Way You Make Me Feel||Steps||083||09|
|2002||What If…||Kate Winslet||126||01|
|2003||No Good Advice||Girls Aloud||025||19|
|2004||All This Time||Michelle||078||08|
|2005||If There Is Any Justice||Lemar||118||04|
|2006||You’re Beautiful||James Blunt||–||Disq.|
|2008||Rule The World||Take That||137||02|
|2009||Viva La Vida||Coldplay||248||01|
|2010||Heartbreak (Make Me A Dancer)||Freemasons/Sophie Ellis-Bextor||228||01|
|2011||Someone Like You||Adele||189||01|
|2012||Set Fire To The Rain||Adele||190||02|
|2013||Dear Darlin’||Olly Murs||180||02|